Ingredients (for three toddler-sized portions):
1 cup of flour
1 cup of warm water
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp cooking oil
1/4 cup salt
1. Stir all ingredients, except food coloring in mixing bowl.
2. Divide mixture into three equal parts in separate bowls.
3. Add food coloring a few drops at a time and stir until the desired color is attained.
4. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat one color at a time while stirring over low heat until it reaches the desired consistency. I’ve found that it will loose a tiny bit of “stickiness” once it is removed the heat so take it off the burner before it gets too incredibly dry. (I’ve found there’s a bit of trial and error here). Be sure to watch it carefully and continually stir it as it will burn to the pan quickly if you aren’t careful.
5. Remove from the pan and cool a bit, then knead until it is soft and pliable.You’ll need to either wash your pan thoroughly or use a new one before heating the next color on the stove.
Store in an air-tight container for freshness.
Source: the 6 o’clock stitch