Butterfly Symmetry Busy Bag

Our 5-year-old daughter has always loved butterflies. However, after we raised our own butterflies from caterpillars this past spring all of our kids are fascinated by them.

This busy bag is great for introducing the concept of symmetry to young kids in a simple way they can understand.

Butterfly Symmetry Busy Bag

Try this activity with your…

The object is to choose a card and make the butterfly a matching side using felt pieces.

Butterfly Symmetry Busy Bag (Free Printable): 31 Days of Busy Bags & Quiet Time Activities @ AllOurDays.com

As with all busy bags, you’ll need to walk you’re child through the activity the first time, but even our 4 year old can use this busy bag independently.

If this activity is too difficult for your child, try starting with an easier version. Our toddler enjoys a modified version of simple putting a butterfly together like a puzzle.

I used the butterfly template to make solid butterfly bodies (one piece, not two), single top wing and bottom wing pieces, and large circles. Make sure you leave a space in the middle of the wing pieces for the body.

Using the template to modify the Butterfly Symmetry Busy Bag to use with toddlers

Eliya (2 1/2 years old) can do this activity independently. I taught her to lay the pieces in this order: large wing, small wing, body, circles.

Butterfly Symmetry Bag Modified for Toddlers: 31 Days of Busy Bags & Quiet Time Activities @ AllOurDays.com

Butterfly Symmetry Busy Bag Modified for a Toddler: Free Busy Bag Printable @ AllOurDays.com

Click the link below to download this free printable busy bag file.

Butterfly Symmetry Busy Bag

We love using felt to make inexpensive learning toys and tools. Have you ever made a toy or learn tool from felt? We’d love to hear your ideas.

31 Days of Busy Bags & Quiet Time Activities @ AllOurDays.com

Previous in Series: Duplo Blocks Counting & Tower Matching Busy Bag

Next in Series: Mickey Mouse Color Matching & Memory Game Busy Bag

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

1. Gargee Bhandare Wadhwani says

Hi! Thanks for sharing these resources! God bless:-) Just wanted to let you know that my just turned three yr old son, Moksh absolutely loves them. Here’s the link to the video where he’s busy with this activity. http://youtu.be/GTRzk19ZGuA A very Big thank you:-)

2. Megan says

I love these and am making them for a busy bag swap. Thank you soooo much for this great website and free resources! I was wondering if you had any tips on cutting out the black pieces. I was using a black Sharpie for the other colors, but now that I’ve got to black I’m stuck. I don’t have any chalk in the house at the moment and I’d really need a finer point anyway. Any ideas I’m not thinking of?

3. Erelia says

This is a great idea thanks for sharing :)

4. Ruth Stieff says

Great busybags. I’m a pastor’s wife working with children with autism and communication disorders and this will be great stuff for them.
    Ruth Stieff

• Allyson says

I’m excited to keep sharing all month, so be sure to stop back by for more great busy bags and quiet time activities.

5. says

Wow, I’m so glad I came across your blog! I started reading this post thinking I might be able to do it *someday* but then you have a modified version for younger kids. That’s so great! I’m excited to try this one with my little guy too!

• Allyson says

So glad you’ll be able to use the activity sooner than you thought. Our 2 1/2 year old really likes it.

6. Kimberly says

Thank you so much!

And I REALLY like what you wrote in the “About Us” section….it describes US, too. For that reason, I just subscribed!!

Blessings to all y’all!!

• Allyson says

It’s nice to meet you, Kimberly. I hope you’ll enjoy what you read and that you’ll find our ideas useful to your family.

1. […] back to the main point of this post. I came across this butterfly symmetry busy bag over at All Our Days. It comes with a free printable (yay!!) plus you can differentiate the tasks for toddlers through […]